Thursday 10 March 2011

Winters wake-up call.

We woke Monday to a reminder from Winter that he's only just 2 or 3 blocks away. Time to drag out the heater, call the plumber about installing the new fire (hopefully this afternoon please!) and prepare the credit card for a thrashing. This is the time of year that i like to peruse the seed catalogs... ah, simple pleasures :) I was fairly restrained this year though, having saved a lot of my own seed from last year and also meeting a fellow friendly gardener at our garage sale who spotted my garden and returned a bit later with some special seeds for me (....not those kinda SPECIAL seeds guys, I'm a mother of 3 remember!...)

So here's what i brought this year from kings seed:
Asparagus Pea
Broad Beans
Swede
Kohl Rabi
Rocket
'Drunken Lady' Fringe head lettuce (teheee...could pass that one up)
Pak Choi
Rhubarb
Carrots
Parsnip
Peas
Beetroot (gonna try in the glass house this winter, i may have withdrawals if i don't have a ready supply!)
Adzuki, Chickpea, Lentil, Mung and Peas seeds for sprouting (de-lish in a stir fry...mmm)

I generally buy punnets of Cabbage, Cauliflower and Broccoli every 2 or 3 weeks from bunnings (only $1.27 for 6 plants) and my leeks have been in for awhile now. I also get my perennial herbs, parsley, coriander etc this way and edge each of my plots with them. You can't make a warming winter soup with out them :) Every time i make a hole in the garden removing some of the summer goodies, i fill it back up with something to get us through the winter.

My task this afternoon is to harvest a whole lotta basil and bag for the freezer, make a big ol' bucket full of pesto and something delish and picnicy to take to Edens
'Wheel-a-thon' tonight... Will post some pikkies of that when we get home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment