Tuesday 1 March 2011

Trials and tribulations of tomato growing...

I'm fairly sure that I don't want to see another tomato until next season! I got a little tooexcited when trying to decide what variety and how many tomatoes to plant. And I really must get over the obsession of planting every single seedling as not to hurt any ones feelings (is it odd to give a plant such human attributes as feelings?)
I did battle this year with an odd tomato disease that even the NZ Garden team had a tough time diagnosing, so I Planted more to compensate... Opps!
To date we have:
2 Brandywine in a pot (they look a little worse for wear and the fruit seems to mysteriously disappear... fat brown dog may be the culprit, but more on her another day)
1 Brown cherry plum, 1 Red cherry, 1 Mini yellow cherry plum. (I love mixed seed packets, just like Christmas!)
6 DELICIOUS big red beefsteak type. It was an free unnamed 6pack that came from the lovely ladies at Harrison garden center here in Feilding. (Thank you!)
2 Green Zebra (fun to grow and OK to eat...Don't make sauce with it though, i thought it would come out a gorgeous green but had forgotten that you add malt vinegar and now have ugly brown sauce that the ratbags won't touch!)
2 Yellow Taxi (Also fun to grow, but a bit dry and tasteless)
3 Golden low acid which my beautiful friend Em gave me. (They are just as beautiful as her too!)

Hopefully by the end of this week i won't have anymore preserving to do, I'm all souped, sauced and relished out. But at least when I'm craving summer goodies on a cold winters day I'll be able to reach for a bottle of Delicious homemade yellow tomato soup!


3 comments:

  1. oh cindy....you're so saucy :) looking forward to reading all your lovely posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog sweets! I have passed around to other fellow gardeners, always nice to see what others are doing round the backyard! hmmm relish - my fave. Look forward to your next post. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Your my gardening hero! We are allowed to have vegey garden in our new house ( So excited!!!!!!), what are you planting for winter?*

    ReplyDelete